Year 9 Pathways
Your son/daughter is approaching a particularly important stage in their educational journey. With the beginning of Key Stage 4 only two terms away, it is now necessary for us all to support our Year 9 pupils as they consider which qualification routes to follow, which subjects to study and which not to pursue at present. The amount of choice available is both exciting and daunting; consequently, having access to high quality information, advice and guidance is crucial. This letter aims to introduce you to the Pathways process at Ss John Fisher and Thomas More RC High School and the support that we will be offering.
The school Pathways process will start shortly with the issue of the KS4 Pathways Booklet which will be available through the school website. The process will involve a sequence of information and consultation sessions, a Pathways Evening that parents/carers and pupils will be invited to attend, a Pathways ‘Taster Week’ for pupils and Individual Advice and Guidance interviews that will take place in school.
The key dates for your diary are:
- Wednesday 16 January 2019: Launch Assembly with Pupil Progress Leader, Ms Perkins - ‘Introduction to Pathways’ for Year 9 pupils.
- Friday 1 February 2019: KS4 Pathways Booklet published online via the school website. Paper copies can be requested from Mrs. Uttley in Student Services.
- Wednesday 6 February 2019: Year 9 pupils visit Nelson & Colne College.
- Thursday 7 February 2019: Draft Pathway Forms issued to Year 9 pupils
- Thursday 7 February 2019, 4.00 - 6.00 pm: Year 9 Pathways Information Evening
During this evening there will be a ‘market place’ format for parents/carers and pupils to gather information on all courses at KS4 offered by the Subject Teams at Fisher More. You will have the opportunity to discuss Pathways with Faculty and Subject Leaders. There will also be a short presentation at 5pm, focusing on the Pathways process and the range of qualifications available. Information about compulsory choices will be given and members from the Senior Leadership Team will be available to speak to. Also present during this evening will be representatives from local colleges to ensure that all necessary information is provided to support our pupils in selecting their option choices.
- Week beginning Monday 11 February 2019: Pathways Week - Year 9 pupils will be given the opportunity to experience a selection of ‘taster lessons’ in various option subjects throughout this week, some of which they will not have studied before.
- Thursday 14 February 2019: Pupils finish for Spring half term – please discuss appropriate Pathways with your child during the half term holiday. Pupils must complete the Draft Pathway Option Forms during half term and bring them into school upon their return. The Pathways Forms must be signed by the parent/carer.
- Monday 25 February 2019: School re-opens - all Year 9 pupils will be allocated Individual Advice and Guidance sessions with Mrs Murphy within the first two weeks back at school. During the session the Option Selections will be recorded on the school’s Pathway system.
- Thursday 14 March 2019: Deadline for completion of the Pathways process.
- Wednesday 27 March 2019: Letters will be sent home with final Pathways indicated.
In the run up to the March deadline, pupils will be allocated Individual Advice and Guidance sessions with Mrs Murphy – the Lead for Curriculum. The number of Pathways is broad at KS4 to ensure a truly balanced curriculum; consequently having access to high quality information, advice and guidance is crucial to enable students to make informed choices about appropriate pathways. All courses at KS4 have particular entry requirements which makes each Pathway appropriate for certain learners; these requirements shape the school’s advice and guidance during the Pathways process. The curriculum can also be subject to change as it is largely dependent on cohort preferences. Therefore, the Individual Advice and Guidance sessions are a crucial part of the process to determine final selections.
Should you have any concerns at any stage of the process, please contact Mrs Murphy, Lead for Curriculum – email@example.com.